Cinema - The first Paraguayan films
In 1925, Paraguayans Hipólito Jorge Carrón and his nephew Agustín Carrón Quell, made the first locally produced film, “Paraguayan Soul”, which recorded a pilgrimage to Caacupé, in which one can see the recorded image of Monsignor Juan Sinforiano Bogarín.
Carrón and his nephew made other movies, documentaries that showed images of places such as the Guazú Market, or of images such as patriotic parades with celebrities and dignitaries of the times. Some of their standout works were “The Catastrophe of Encarnación” (1926), that showed the severe damage from the cyclone that affected that city, and the filming of the burial of Eligio Ayala, the Paraguayan president assassinated in 1930. Almost the entirety of these films was silent, in black and white, and recorded in 35 millimeter.
On his own, Agustín Carrón Quell, nephew of Hipólito Jorge Carrón, filmed aspects of the Chaco War, like scenes from the battle of Boquerón, in which Mcal. Estigarribia appears.
Agustín Carrón Quell also directed the first scientific documentaries, in 16 millimeter and the first filmed National News Bulletin, as was the case with the first Paraguayan film with sound, in 35 millimeters.
The doctor Juan Max Boettner is also among the pioneers of Paraguayan film. The well-known doctor, composer and musician, made numerous films in black and white since 1939, and since 1947, all in color. Boettner produced various documentaries until 1952 and one of his most important pieces was the first Paraguayan filming of an operation, in 1947.