Cinema - First stages
The first signs of cinema in Paraguay date back to the first decades of the 20th Century. In 1900, the first cinematographic projection was made, in the National Theater, showing silent films, in black and white. Five years later, foreigners arrived in the country to film what were dubbed “Scenes of Reality.” Among those was the Argentine Ernest Gunche, creator of postcards in Paraguay at the beginning of the 20th Century. Along with Eduardo Martínez de la Pera, Gunche filmed documentaries about the Missions, Iguazu Falls and Guaira Falls.
Between 1921 and 1922, the Marquee of Vauvrin, a Belgian documentarian, filmed aspects of the Eastern Region and the Paraguayan Chaco. The pioneer was recognized as the great cinema documentarian of the times, with his material “In the Country of the Scalpel,” in sound, filmed in several Latin American countries. In 1925, the German Hans Krieg, director of a German zoo, carried out an expedition to the Paraguayan Chaco, all the way to the Chiquitos zone in Bolivia, making the documentary “Expedition Paraguay.” Krieg produced another documentary titled “The Indigenous of the Great Chaco.”